Thursday 17 October 2013

Microgreens......

Wheat sprouts at the top and beneath green peas - I'll be growing the peas on for shoots.
Today I said I'd talk about microgreens. Most people may be familiar with them from MasterChef and its ilk. Those lovely little bits of green that brings the plate to life...........
However, microgreens are now hitting the supermarket shelves and a while ago I bought some garlic chive micros from Tesco. Did I eat them? Not a bit of it! I planted them and grew them on and I now have a big clump in the garden............well, someone else had done the work starting them off for me and for £1 something or whatever they were - it was a bargain!
It would not have been a bargain however, if I had wanted them for eating! Heavens there wasn't so much as a mouthful................
Microgreens are easy to grow (like sprouts) and are extremely nutritious. Think about it; sprouts put all their energy and enzymes into the first big push of growth - microgreens are the next stage and we then gain by having chlorophyll rich leaves. What's not to like?
The two books I'd recommend (and there are many out there now) are;
Microgreens; A Guide to Growing Nutrient-Packed Greens and also Microgreens; How to Grow Nature's Own Superfood.
For me, these two say it all and what I do like about them is they're sumptuously illustrated with the sort of photos that make you want to get your compost and pots out!

I posted a photo yesterday of sunflowers greens - well, they are doing really well and I'll be really generous to you all, and let you see them before I eat them (just, of course, so you see the size etc to use them at).

I will, of course, be talking more about the goodness in sprouts and micros as we go along but the first few posts are hooks - to get you interested and keen to stay with me and get sprouting!

Tomorrow, we'll go nuts...............(if I haven't already ..............)






No comments:

Post a Comment