Wednesday 16 October 2013

Recommended books......

Sunflower greens - one of the absolute best sprouts!
Today I promised you some good books to read. The first one I ever read and it really got me hooked, was this one; The Sprouter's Handbook by Edward Cairney If you only want one book this is it. I have read this one so often I can probably recite it word for word (and I must ask my other half if I do so in my sleep - I know I do often witter away in between the Z's..........).
It's not an expensive book but it is worth it's weight in gold! It's practical, no nonsense and what I like most is Edward doesn't advocate going out spending a fortune.
Dr Gillian McKeith did much for sprouts in her TV series and books i.e. You Are What You Eat and I have those too but for sprouting guides another very highly recommended author is Sproutman! (AKA Steve Meyerowitz). His famous Book; Sprouts the Miracle Food -The Complete Guide to Sprouting is also very good. However, for me there are several things wrong with this book (just personal observations here). I don't like the fact he (obviously) recommends his own way of sprouting (and I can understand that) but despite being a Sprout Nutter I don't want bags of dripping sprouts hanging from my taps, thank you very much - I like doing it My Way! (Mainly because it works.......)
But in Steve's favour (and he knows much more than me!) he has done excellent research and really knows his stuff so if you want the nitty gritty on sprouting (and maybe are happy having bags of sprouts around the place) he's your man! (Steve also uses baskets for sprouting which again, although it works really well - space really is a premium for me and I don't want baskets all over the place either!)
I know some time back there was a lot of controversy over alfalfa. Steve blew that one apart (good on you Steve!) Although for myself I always believe in 'moderation in all things' - and that includes how much alfalfa I eat!
Another great little book albeit not a sprouting book but one for anyone with very limited space is; The Window-box Allotment and having just checked it out on Amazon for the link - it seems to have been upgraded so I can feel a new copy coming on. It's a delightful little book.
More books tomorrow and we'll also move on to books on the next stage of sprouting - Microgreens!

The photo above is of my newly hatched sunflower greens. (The shells will drop off as they grow). For these you do need unhulled sunflower seeds like these Organic sunflower seeds  don't try this with the shelled ones you buy for nibbling! If you want to sprout those (and you can) do so overnight only. They will turn brown and won't be very pleasant after that!

Sunflower greens are absolutely delicious - trust me - lettuce will never taste the same again but we'll reach that point in due course, so stay with me and you too can become a Sprout Nutter!




No comments:

Post a Comment