Friday 18 October 2013

NUTS!!

Hazelnuts and almonds; soaked overnight.

Well, I said we'd go nuts today and here we are! Most people love nuts of one form or another (except, of course, those who are allergic to them). My personal favourites are almond and walnuts.

I have found the best way to eat them though is to soak them. Technically, this is classed as sprouting only they don't sprout - they swell but still undergo the same metabolic transformation as a 'sprout'. Their vitamins increase and they become much, much more digestible. Have you ever noticed with nuts that you sometimes find your mouth 'tightening' inside (like when you eat cooked spinach or rhubarb?)  That's the tannins in them. Soaking/sprouting them overnight removes most of them and they taste really wonderful and creamy. If you don't believe me, try it - I surprised a friend of mine this morning with soaked almonds.

Almonds can be blended and made into a delicious nut milk and are rich in calcium too. Their protein is also of the alkaline type which is better for our bodies. One of my favourite ways of using them is to convert the 'milk' into almond yoghurt using 'rejuvelac' (and what, I hear you ask is that?)............well, we'll come to that in a short while - if you can't wait - Google it. Be warned though - some sources advocate fermenting the wheat berries for a longer period - don't do it! I tried leaving it longer it once and when I opened the fridge I was overwhelmed by the prevailing smell of cow dung! A gas mask wouldn't have gone amiss either! (I didn't even have the heart to pour it on the compost heap - I was so concerned for the worms.....) Yuk! I won't do that one again in a hurry :-) Incidentally, almond yoghurt is fantastic in curries...........

We'll talk more nuts soon but when I'm back next I have a really astonishing tale about the miracle of avocados - seriously, if I hadn't known the person who told me this - I wouldn't have believed it myself. But I even have a photo of her leg to prove it (oh, boy - I can really hear your brain cells going into overdrive now................)

Have a good weekend - and get sprouting!!

A single renegade nasturtium makes a take-over bid for the garden... 









No comments:

Post a Comment